Thursday, January 8, 2009

New York Simple

I'm a banker living on the East Coast, and every once in a while I make the journey from one large East Coast financial center to the other. When venturing North, I traditionally travel by air. Efficient, but not particularly enjoyable. The airports are neither welcoming nor attractive, and the ride into the city usually leaves me curbside at some nice little Greenwich Village hotel feeling completely nauseated.  While I perk up nicely after a cupcake & trip to Purl Soho, I find the whole experience somewhat draining.

This time, however, my junket began in New England, and with no snow in the forecast I drove my very own car.  But here's the thing... beyond a trip every now & then along the Henry Hudson Parkway, I'm not too keen on Manhattan driving, and find city parking a dismal (and unreasonably expensive) experience. What to do what to do?  

Guess what?  I found a new place to stay.  It's called New Jersey.  And as much as I hate to admit it, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. For the doubting or faint of heart (I know you're out there... I used to be among you), here's my simple step-by-step from New England to the State they call Garden:

1. 

2.  This phase depends on how deeply embedded you are within New England. If you're really up there, with coffee in hand, get yourself to the nearest on-ramp for


3.  After a few hours, switch to


4.  After a bit more, you'll come upon a bridge.  It's busy but beautiful, so don't be afraid. Enjoy it, and if you get a chance, take a peek up. Magnificent.

Once you've crossed this bridge, you're there. A divine and simple place called New Jersey. 

5.  Settle into lodgings on the Hudson,
near a ferry,
and take that ferry into NYC.
If you're lucky like me, you'll only need to walk a few feet more, and there you are.


6. (Optional)  Take an evening and view Manhattan with a drink beside a window from your perch upon the Hudson.  And enjoy.

1 comment :

  1. As someone who has a car in Manhattan I can attest to your frustrations. Although I can't stand driving in NJ where "full service" at gas stations is an unfitting description.

    When I lived in Chicago I'd fly into Newark and take the bus to Manhattan and then expense a $60 cab. Do that both ways plus taking the subway to appointments and putting those down as cabs and could net a little over $200...which was promptly spent at J Press.

    BTW, I pass the Belgian loafer store every day. A great looking shoe for women but a little too too for men. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete