Saturday, August 6, 2011

Remodel, Interrupted

In early 2006, I bought an 'as-is' 1920's colonial in Charlotte, North Carolina with great enthusiasm and a strong desire to make it my own. By late 2006, I was completely over plumber rip-offs, electrician no-shows, cabinetmaker flake-outs, plaster dust, dicey handymen, paint disasters, and plain old shoddy work. Starting a new job in a new city, while at the same time acting as my own general contractor, was too much. I threw my hands up, said 'enough', and left large pieces of my house incomplete (see Kitchen & Mudroom, below).


Fortunately, 8 months in London living in hotels and an antiseptic corporate apartment had a reinvigorating effect. Since returning, my house has been a proper hive of activity. I've purchased wallpaper & fabrics & rugs, sent furniture to be reupholstered, hired a painter, and -- after 5 years with a gaping hole above the range -- installed a hood.


It may not seem like much to you, but to me it feels like a pretty good start.

1 comment :

  1. Yep, still totally want to be you. That kitchen is really efficient, I'm so jealous.

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete