Saturday, June 11, 2011

Selfridges & Anya Hindmarch Bespoke

While I love things, I'm not partial to shopping. But there is one retail establishment where I've been known to spend an entire Sunday afternoon. And I think a few others must too, since it's impossible to shake a stick in London without hitting one of its carrier bags...


Selfridges is famous for many things, but what I love most are its incredible pop-up shops -- like the current installation of Anya Hindmarch Bespoke. The tiny space reminds me of a posh 1940's cobbler dropped smack in the midst of Balenciaga & Prada. The staff {shout out to Karen, you will be missed!} is amazing and -- if you love the classics -- the selection is heavenly. Anya's archetypical styles are custom crafted of fine skins {lizard, box calf, croc} in beautiful colors, with endless options for personalization in block type or your own handwriting.


Although we agonized over size & color & style for ages {taking a break in the middle of the decision-making process for a pomegranate bellini @ Hix}, my cousin and I finally settled on twin Ebury handbags -- hers in a rich tan French box calf, mine in deep chocolate -- with a handwritten inscription embossed within to memorialize our time together in London. 



While Anya's Selfridges pop-up won't last forever, her Bespoke Shop in Pont Street, Belgravia will {I hope} remain for the ages.

No comments :

Post a Comment